Saturday, April 4, 2009

My Sweet Boy

I just don't know where the time has gone, and tonight I am reminiscing. Luke and I spent all day together: we went to the Houston Children's Festival, the petting zoo, Rainforest Cafe, and Katy Mills Mall (of course there had to be a mall in there somewhere!).

He is only 3 years and 3 months old, and I already find myself thinking, "Where has the time gone?" I look at his 3 ft 3 in stature and wonder where the tiny baby is hiding. He opens his mouth and tells me he wants to go to the "donut store", and I am baffled that he is no longer eating out of a jar. Luke is sitting next to me right now, begging to "help" me type. He's even learning manipulation, telling me that it's not dark outside so he shouldn't have to go to bed; telling me he IS being careful, when I tell him to quit jumping off the couch.

In the mall earlier today, he told me he was "getting very upset" as I was browsing in Banana Republic. I asked him why he was upset, and he told me he didn't want to be in that store. The child is so like his daddy already.

We were driving to church last Sunday morning, and from the backseat I hear, "Stupid lady, drive your car." Ouch. That was my son's voice.....my only consolation was that he heard that from his daddy, who often vocalizes his frustrations with other drivers.

He wears Spiderman underwear now instead of Nemo Pull-ups; He picks out his own clothes instead of waiting on me to tell him what to wear. And my sweet boy doesn't voluntarily kiss his mommy much anymore.

I pray that God will pour out His grace on this precious child; I know that I cannot hold onto him forever, but God can.
Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

The Fryes said...

They do grow so fast. It is both exciting and scary to see their personalities take shape and realize how much the absorb of what we do and say. Love you and miss you. Ashley is so sweet with Kinslee. Nice to have someone you know love on your baby=)

Jennifer McD said...

Amy, even as he grows up and away, you'll be blessed as you watch him become what you have taught him to be. My son is 16, and we just spent the last two hours working in the yard and garden together, with him telling me "Mom, don't, I'll get that" "Mom, that's too heavy, let me do it for you". So your rewards will change as much as he does, but they never stop coming. God planned it perfectly! Enjoy. Jennifer McDaniel