Sunday, May 31, 2009

How to be Obsessed

If obsession was a character trait which one should aspire towards, I could teach the class. If it was a commendable attribute, I would be like Solomon composing the Proverbs.
My mind never stops. Short of being diagnosed as Obsessive-Compulsive, my personality snatches onto many things and tosses thoughts back and forth in my mind like toddlers playing ping-pong. I'm not sure that is the greatest analogy, but you get the point.
I make lists (yes, obsessively..); I say my plans out loud over and over; and I DWELL on something until I can put it into its proper place in my thought closet (at which time, I take it out and try it on again numerous times).

Sounds like fun, right? That's hard to admit, but I am often a prisoner of my own marathon mind.

Not only do I obsess, I am prone to addiction. When I get that one thing in my mind, it doesn't let go. God's Word tells me that where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. So my plan for the next few months? I'm going to find out what that means for me. I am going to dive into the meat and bones of Scripture and find answers for my life.

I need it. I need the healing power of God's Word. I don't even feel embarrassed to have this blogged to the world (well, not that the whole world reads this humble blog of mine!!) because I am convinced that I am not the only one whose mind is a raging motor speedway of racing thoughts.

So no, just in case you are wondering - I'm not having a nervous breakdown. At the moment, my mind is actually in a rare state of peace. I just want answers. I want freedom from this mind of mine -- and I will seek the Lord wholeheartedly until I find what I am looking for.

Dear Jesus - thank You for the amazing brains you have given us. I even thank You that mine has the ability to operate at high speeds :)
I know that I am not the only one of Your children who suffers from a tyrannical mind sometimes, Father. I plead with You to show me in Your Word what the solution is. Give me Your Spirit of Wisdom to discover life-changing (mind-numbing??) TRUTH. In Your marvelous Name I pray - AMEN.
Bookmark and Share

0 comments: