Friday, November 13, 2009

Dry and Tasteless

A couple of weeks ago, I posted on a Friday that I would be doing a 30 day blog series on Being Free.
Since you have yet to see Day One of this series, suffice it to say that I have been in a dry spell.

If I had not been reading Jennifer Rothschild's Self Talk Soul Talk, I would be calling myself a crazy fool for talking about a blog series I had yet to write. I guess I thought that if I promised the internet that I would be posting this - it would magically appear at my fingertips.

But oh no. Quite the opposite. I have learned the lesson that before I commit to a series - I should at least write it first. Some would call that common sense......but procrastinators and Type A frustrated perfectionists like myself call that a normal learning process. Fail First....then learn from the mistake.

My dry spell has been ugly......I'm in a "season" right now where for the last three weeks, I have existed on a vegetarian spiritual diet (i.e. no scriptural meat). I have gone through the motions, and now I'm tired of it. Who do I think I'm fooling? God knows He has gotten only leftovers from me. My heart has been hard, and when my alarm goes off in the morning.....instead of spending time with Him - I've hit snooze over and over again. The sad thing is, I am the one who suffers from this......not God. Yes, He misses that time because He quite enjoys it, too.....but I am the one who gets dehydrated...and joy-less.....and ugly.

Can anyone else identify with me? I know that we all can't be "on" all the time.....but I feel like such an Israelite. I know the wonders God has done in my life; I know the JOY of doing daily life with Him.....yet, I so quickly forget and convince myself that I can do this thing on my own.

Please, please leave me your comments.......tell me you know what I mean.....
Bookmark and Share

4 comments:

Hillary @ The Other Mama said...

Hello? We have ALL been there! MANY times. And that's what it is to be human. But to love and serve a GOD that understands is what it is to be loved. And you are loved my friend.

I think we all "lament": :)
Lamentations 3:22-24
22 Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.
23 They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.

But there is always a new morning!

Tea with Tiffany said...

I've been in the desert a few times and it's hard. I pray God will pour rain on your heart soon.

It's snowing in Colorado. Pure white and beautiful. From the heavens!

Nice to visit you.

Robyn said...

Preach on Sister! I love to sleep, I mean I really, really enjoy it, and I have such a hard time, giving that up, even to spend time with such a loving God and friend. Praying for an end to the dry spell, I miss your writing!! I have been doing a study on the Israelites, (Beth Moore=AWESOME), anyway one of things I have, and I have learned A LOT, was that God provided manna for them everyday, to fill and sustain them in the dry desert, but they still had to go out every morning and gather it! He still does the same for us, we just have to go out and gather it! Praying for a week of gathering for you and I both!! Hang in there!

Melanie said...

Hi sweet friend - you will not always be in the desert. That's good news. Take the condemnation of her, Lord. Let her rest in just being, not doing. You will not be loved more or less in this dry season. I will pray for you and encourage you to just do one thing in God's word - read one psalm or even a couple verses. And then do it again the next day. And don't you know Satan's trying to get after you because you are FREE and wan to share about the One who set you free. Be at peace, dear friend.