Sunday, February 15, 2009

Scripture Memory Round 4, etc....

I love structure; therefore I really love scheduled scripture memorization.....complete with the spiral notecard-notebook. Does that make me nerdy? Oh well, by the grace of God, I am what I am!
So my new verse is Psalms 73:23-28. I decided to commit this verse to memory as I was reviewing my notes from bible study last week.
The author begins the psalm by pouring his heart out to God about the many "successes" of the man who does not fear God. As He is being honest with God about these bitter feelings - his heart softens, and he ends up praising God for His faithfulness to him and for His invaluable worth.
This struck a chord in my spirit because I often have so many things I "just HAVE to HAVE."
I was in the mall with Kathryn on Friday night, and I saw so many new shoes that I just "HAVE to HAVE!" I also saw the new Spring fashion lines with all the cute little skirts and new tops. My mind just began buzzing with all the new purchases I HAVE to MAKE. On Saturday morning I was walking through our house and started to nit-pick at everything, noting everything that I "need" i.e. buffet table for the dining room, new pictures for the gameroom; "something" for the entry way; and while I was at it - I obsessed over the fact the whole house could use a major dusting/vacumming overhaul. Talk about some retail therapy that backfired! I was totally overwhelmed. Now, I exaggerate a bit; I'm truly not a full-fledged shopaholic (although we did see the movie last night, Confessions of a Shopaholic.....and frankly - the outfits and handbags were oh-so-awesome).
What I'm trying to say is that I LOVE THINGS. They make me feel better; at times, they make me feel "worthy"; and new things can often turn a bad day into a good one.
The psalmist in Psalms 73 is reminding himself that God is his portion; God is enough. God is what gets him up in the morning. God is the One who delights his heart. God is the one who sustains him when there is evil all around him. God alone is his deepest desire.
I want a heart like that. I long to have a heart that loves the Lord more than a new pair of strappy high heels. Along with the psalmist, I want to say:

"Nevertheless, I am continually with you; you hold my right hand.
You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will receive me to glory.
Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth I desire besides you.
My flesh and my heart my fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
For behold those who are far from you will perish;
you put an end to everyone who is unfaithful to you.
But for me it is good to be near God; I have made the Lord my refuge,
that I may tell of all your works."

Psalms 73:23-28 ESV

Amen, Amen, and Amen.
Bookmark and Share

0 comments: